Monday, January 22, 2007

Weather

We've had an extremely mild winter so far here in Central New York. (I say Central rather than Upstate because too many people think of Yonkers or Orange County as Upstate, and trust me, to people north of the Pennsylvania state line, that's still Downstate).

It's been warm and virtually snowless, which I haven't minded at all. I don't mind not having to scrap ice from the car every morning. I don't mind not having to clear snow from the car and steps every day. I don't mind not having to wear boots and gloves and scarves and hats every day.

But last week winter finally showed up. We got some snow, though the wind causing drifts and whiteouts is more of a hazard than the snow itself, and the temperature has been checking in at a crispy 0-to-10F above, and I hate cold more than I do snow so I've been grumbling.

But the sudden appearance of winter has been important because it's only now, that it's cold and blowy and snowy that I miss baseball and have a reborn eagerness for the pre-season to start.

Some vegetation needs to have that cold snap to start certain biological processes and without it the plants fail to thrive.

I needed winter to long for baseball.

24 more days before pitchers and catchers report.

1 comment:

Jenks said...

I want to go to spring training in the worst way. But I can't go.


I think I might die.