Monday, April 30, 2007

Once this season

The Duke of Earl is playing for Louisville again this season and they come to Syracuse only ONCE.

Of course it was this weekend. I've got a horrible head cold; I spent Thursday in bed sleeping all day and all night.

Friday I was too tired and sick to go, but that was okay since the game was rained out.

Saturday I set out, excited that there was going to be a doubleheader, even though it was cool and damp, but before I got even halfway to Syracuse I had to give up and go home, back to bed.

Sunday I napped after reading the paper, and by the time it was time to leave for the ballpark, the sun was out. When I got there, I check the line up. No Earl. And he doesn't come out of the dugout to coach first as he often does when not playing. Crap.

Then in the top of the ninth, Mark Bellhorn (yes, of the World Champion Red Sox) hits a homerun to tie the score and Earl is sent in to pinch hit. He's posted a batting average of .154 so far this season, but they walk him on five pitches. In the bottom of the inning, he stays in at third, starts the doubleplay that ends the inning.

After the game he headed to the home end of the dugout where a couple little kids were waiting for autographs. He signed and took a moment to talk with them.

He needs a haircut.

No comments: