Monday, November 15, 2004

Who's Rightfielder

Baseball is my passion.

I love the Game in virtually all of its forms and follow it through literature and film as well as daily box scores. I am a card-carrying member of SABR (Society for American Baseball Research) as well as a regular at the nearest minor league park. To the annoyance of friends and colleagues, I can find some link between baseball and almost anything they mention.

I won't spend much time talking about stats because they quickly bore me, but the artistry of the game keeps me fascinated for hours and hours.

Each summer I make a road trip or two to explore a couple minor league parks I haven't visited before. I have visited a few major league parks (Fenway, of course, being my favorite, with Wrigley a close second), but I vastly prefer the intimacy of the minor league parks and the community atmosphere I have experienced at every one I have visited so far.

I am a Red Sox fan as far as the majors are concerned, but my heart belongs to the minors, with the local team my favorite team regardless of their affiliation. More on that later.

Baseball, like life, is more about the journey than the destination for me. This serves to record some of my observations along the way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, BD. Have you ever done a spring training tour?